Birdsall Market is our response to the COVID-19 crisis and its effect on the local food supply chain. With the closure of the La Placita grocery store (UPDATE: La Placita has re-opened with strict social distancing guidelines as of April 30th) and the weekly farmers market in Downtown Peekskill, the city lost its only source of healthy fresh food supplies for those who can't easily travel beyond the city center.
The community was left in a tough spot. Taxis are hard to come by and expensive, public transport is inconvenient and problematic for social distancing, and the grocery stores themselves are crowded with people and potentially low in supplies.
Read more about the genesis of Birdsall Market on Peekskill Exurbanist.
The team behind Birdsall House, Gleason's, Peekskill Exurbanist, and RIDE! Peekskill decided to pool their resources and form a temporary market in Downtown Peekskill that offers weekly delivery or pick up of boxes of fresh, healthy groceries to the Peekskill community.
We've set up this online storefront so that community members can easily browse our food offerings while sheltering in place, and our delivery not only enables social distancing, it also provides employment for our displaced workers.
We'll be taking orders through Wednesday at 4pm for Friday deliveries between 1pm-4pm each week.
Depending on the popularity of the market, we'll look into adding additional delivery days.
Our delivery service area is Peekskill / Cortlandt / Montrose / Buchanan / Verplank.
Orders can be picked up at the Birdsall House Beer Garden at 970 Main Street, Peekskill, NY 10566.
- Provide a hyper local source of food basics for those who can't or don't want to go to supermarkets outside of Downtown Peekskill during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Enable safe social distancing when stocking up on food basics.
- Reduce the strain on supply and reduce the crowds in local supermarkets where some people must continue to shop to take advantage of federal food assistance programs or to purchase items only available at the larger markets.
- Provide employment to Birdsall House and Gleason's staff furloughed due to reduced restaurant/bar business during the COVID-19 crisis.
- To support and promote hyper local food suppliers whenever possible
- Establish that the RIDE! Peekskill team is dedicated and able to quickly and efficiently implement and operate technology driven solutions to hyper local problems.